Virgin Coconut Oil – Like Mother’s Milk
Coconut is one of the most health promoting and nutritious fruit — it is also a remedy to many of our ailments and diseases. Of course, most of these beneficial properties are concentrated in the oil of the fruit, but it’s Flesh and Water are also very nutritious, refreshing, and delicious – Try a home made Macaron – you will love it.
But, all this goodness of Coconut has only earn it the ire of the ‘Healthcare Industry’
Coconut oil, very much like the Grass-fed Raw Milk, has been under constant attack by the multi-trillion dollar ‘Healthcare Industry’ — And, the Industry has every reason to vilify it as it erects quite a formidable hindering block in front of its ever accelerating growth. Coconut – all of its components, and, in particular, Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil have tremendous health benefits. It is a natural remedy to many of our diseases and ailments.
Both the Coconut fruit and coconut oil have been used all over the world – wherever it has been available, for cooking, skin care, hair care, and as an anti inflammatory food for centuries. Coconut Oil was the most popular household oil in US until the disruption of its supply during the 1930s and 1940s. The supply cutoff provided the vegetable oil industry an opportunity to form a joint front along with the Healthcare Industry, and launch a campaign to demonize the coconut oil and promote vegetable oils and hydrogenated oils as substitute for it.
While the oil industry was able to take over almost the entire market share, the healthcare industry benefited with a steady stream of ‘customers’ – unhealthy vegetable oils, especially the hydrogenated oils and trans fats, contributed in increasing a plethora of chronic diseases along with a hefty increase in the waistline of the population.
As the health conscious people are becoming aware of the benefit of virgin coconut oil, the healthcare industry is getting nervous – Its double-digit growth must go on unhindered. It has battalions of health professionals, authors and ‘magicians, aka researchers’ on the roll to attack and demonized the coconut oil.
What most of these bullhorns of the Healthcare Industry conveniently forget to mention is the fact that most of the researches being cited have been carried out on the hydrogenated coconut oil and not on virgin coconut oil — any oil that is hydrogenated is hazardous to health.
Touted Vegetable Oils – Not Healthy
Vegetable oils like corn, soy, and canola oil – especially the refined ones, are some of the most unhealthy oils. These oils become toxic when heated and cause havoc to human body. One study reported that these polyunsaturated oils turn to a varnish like substance in the intestines. A study by a plastic surgeon found that women who consumed mostly vegetable oils had far more wrinkles than those who used traditional animal fats.
A 1994 study appearing in the “Lancet” showed that almost three quarters of the fat in artery clogs is unsaturated. The “artery clogging” fats are not animal fats but vegetable oils.
Fatty acids, such as linoleic acid and linolenic acid, which are found in linseed oil, soy oil, corn oil, etc., are essential for the spontaneous development of cancer, and also contribute in the development of age pigment, cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, obesity, stress-induced immunodeficiency, epilepsy, brain swelling, congenital retardation, hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and other degenerative conditions. These acids are possibly the most harmful toxins for animals.
Mary Enig, PhD, a nutritionist who reviews research on and writes articles about the nutritional aspects of fats sates, “Those who have most actively promoted the use of polyunsaturated vegetable oils as part of a Prudent Diet are well aware of their dangers. In 1971, William B. Kannel, former director of the Framingham study, warned against including too many polyunsaturates in the diet.
A year earlier, Dr. William Connor of the American Heart Association issued a similar warning, and Frederick Stare reviewed an article which reported that the use of polyunsaturated oils caused an increase in breast tumors. And Kritchevsky, way back in 1969, discovered that the use of corn oil caused an increase in atherosclerosis.”
The fact is that these touted vegetable oils rich in unsaturated fats cause aging, clotting, inflammation, cancer, and weight gain.
Coconut Oil – A Healthy Food
Coconut Oil is a superbly nutritious and safe food that not only provides energy and nutrients by itself, but also by promoting the absorption of other foods, particularly fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) and minerals.
While it is a food, it is also an immune booster and a tonic. It supports body’s defense mechanism and restores structural integrity of the cells. It guards the body against the attack of viruses, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, protozoa and worms.
It is an antibody with the widest spectrum of action of all the antipathogens.
It is an immunoregulator and a function regulator. It enhances body’s capacity to work better, metabolize better, defend better and heal better.
It has therapeutic effect in supporting the body against the debilitating diseases like diabetes, asthma, atherosclerosis, hypertension, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, Crohn’s, and cancer.
Coconut oil is unique in its structural make-up due to its medium chain fatty acids — MCFAs, the closest to those found in human breast milk that nature provides.
In his essay on the Coconut Oil, Dr. Ray Peat, a respected researcher, nutritionists, and writer stats, “Coconut oil is unusually rich in short and medium chain fatty acids. Shorter chain length allows fatty acids to be metabolized without use of the carnitine transport system. Mildronate protects cells against stress partly by opposing the action of carnitine, and comparative studies showed that added carnitine had the opposite effect, promoting the oxidation of unsaturated fats during stress, and increasing oxidative damage to cells.”
Coconut oil is nature’s richest source of these healthy MCFAs – comprising more than 65% of the fat. The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are more easily digested than fats found in most common vegetable or seed oils, which are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs).
These LCFAs found in common oils are difficult for the body to break down, as they must be combined with lipoproteins that require special enzymes for digestion. Naturally, these LCFAs put more strain on the pancreas, the liver and the entire digestive system.
LCFAs are predominantly stored in the body as fat and, as such, can be deposited within arteries in lipid forms such as cholesterol. They nearly always go to fat storage in the body and promote fattening.
But, the MCFAs in coconut oil are health promoting. They do not require lipoproteins or special enzymes to be utilized effectively by the body. Hence, they are easily digested thus, putting less strain on the digestive system.
MCFAs are processed directly in the liver and easily converted into energy. There is therefore less strain on the liver, pancreas and digestive system and, being easily digested, they also tend to improve the absorption of other nutrients.
MCFAs in coconut oil help stimulate body’s metabolism, leading to weight loss while providing more energy.
The long list of benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of Lauric Acid, which forms more than 50% of the MCFAs, and Capric Acid, Caprylic Acid, Myristic Acid, Oleic acid and Palmitic. Lauric acid is what gives the coconut oil its mother’s milk like protective qualities.
The human body converts lauric acid into monolaurin – the actual compound responsible for helping to strengthen the immune system. It helps in dealing with viruses and bacteria that cause diseases such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and AIDS.
It also provides defense against harmful bacteria such as listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and harmful protozoa such as giardia lamblia.
Major Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil
- Heart Health — Coconut oil is highly beneficial for the cardio vascular system. It helps in strengthening the heart’s muscular structures. MCFAs in coconut oil help in preventing various heart problems including arterial plaque and high blood pressure.
Studies show that heart disease risk factors such as total, LDL and HDL cholesterol levels are greatly improved by taking coconut oil. It is further found that saturated fats in Coconut oil may actually increase “good” HDL cholesterol, while also helping convert “bad” LDL cholesterol into a less harmful form.
- Supports Healthy Brain Function – Help in Dementia & Elzheimer’s — Coconut oil is a great food for the brain – it provides brain ready to use energy. Coconut oil’s ketogenic properties have been well researched.
Researchers have found that ketones are the preferred source of brain food. The ketones found in coconut oil provide a fuel to the brain that is beneficial to those suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Immune System — With heavy concentration of Lauric Acid, Capric acid and Caprylic acid, which have antifungal, antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties, coconut oil strengthens the immune system. Monolaurin, converted by the human body from the lauric acid, helps in dealing with viruses and bacteria causing many debilitating infectious diseases.
- Kills Viruses — Coconut oil’s anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties are impressive. It destroys viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, etc. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, etc.
Coconut oil also plays an instrumental role in reducing viral susceptibility of people suffering from HIV and cancer.
- Anti-Fungal – Anti-Yeast — Coconut oil is also effective in eliminating fungi and yeast that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, etc. Coconut oil is a great remedy for fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and ringworm.
Lauric acid in coconut oil makes up about half of the fatty acids. In the digestion process, coconut oil converts into a monoglyceride called monolaurin. Both substances help exterminate harmful pathogens such as fungi, bacteria and viruses. In one study, Staphylococcus aureus and a common causes of yeast infection, Candida Albicans — two of the most notorious pathogens, were eradicated by the active compounds in coconut oil.
- Enhanced Metabolism and Energy – Weight Management — MCFAs in Coconut oil enhances body’s metabolism and, hence, it helps in taking off excessive weight while providing more energy to body. Coconut oil, in fact, provides an excellent “fuel” for the body and stimulating the metabolism to help shed excess body fat.
On top of it, coconut oil is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems and removes stress on pancreases and liver. It is a remedy for treating pancreatitis.
- Enhances Endurance — It enhances the performance of athletes. For this reason, coconut oil is preferred by athletes and body builders and by those who are dieting.
- Helps in Digestion — Coconut oil is easy on digestive system, and does not produce an insulin spike in the bloodstream. The medium-chain fatty acids can also be absorbed easily in the digestive tract, compared to longer chain fatty acids found in polyunsaturated vegetable oils.
- Diabetes Remedy — Coconut oil is a natural remedy in controlling blood sugar. It improves the secretion of insulin and also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
- Liver, Kidney and Gall Bladder Health — MCFAs in coconut oil reduce workload on the liver and support its function by preventing accumulation of fat. Coconut oil also helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It is a remedy in dissolving kidney stones.
- Bone Health — Coconut oil improves the ability of our body to absorb the needed minerals like calcium and magnesium, which are necessary for development and maintaining the density of bones. Coconut oil is very useful in preventing osteoporosis in women in their advanced age.
- Supports proper thyroid function — Coconut oil, unlike soy oil and other vegetable oils, does not interfere with thyroid function. It’s anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation that may lead to hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
- Hair Health — Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair, helps in healthy growth of hair and gives a shinny luster. Massage head twice a week and leave overnight to for the best benefit.
- Treatment for Lice — Coconut oil, due to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungus properties, is very effective in eliminating lice. The European Journal of Pediatrics reported research showing that blending coconut oil and anise was almost twice as effective as the commonly prescribed (and toxic) permethrin lotion for treating head lice.
- Skin Care — For a healthy and shining skin, apply coconut oil tropically. It is an excellent nourishing ointment for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins. It is safe and non-allergenic. It prevents skin damage and wrinkling due to age and environment. It helps in healing and repairing the scar tissues and in treating skin problems like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
- Great for Oral Health — Massaging coconut oil on gums for 10 minutes a day significantly reduces plaque and decay-causing Streptococcus mutans.
- Healing Wounds — Coconut Oil, cold pressed from Fresh Coconuts, has amazing healing properties. It promotes fast healing and recovery from cuts and burns, provides protection against fungi, bacteria and viruses, and speeds up the healing process by repairing the damaged tissues.
I have recommended it to people I work with, and have personally applied it on the infectious wounds and burns which were not responding to conventional drugs and antiseptic creams – Amazing to see the fast healing and recovery.
☞ For the best result, mix 1/2 tea-spoon of Organic Turmeric powder with 1 table-spoons of coconut oil. Apply tropically two-three times a day.
☞ Please Note:
All these benefit are related to the Virgin Coconut Oil. Commercially processed or hydrogenated coconut oil is not only deprived of nutrition, it is outright hazardous to health.
Consume 2-3 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (uncooked and unheated) daily. It tastes delicious on toast, rice and lentils. It can be safely given to children. Depending on the age of the child, add one-half to two teaspoon of virgin coconut oil a day to their food.
Wounds, Cuts, and Burns: Mix thoroughly 2-teaspoon of Organic Turmeric Powder in half cup of Coconut Oil and 1-tablespoon of Virgin Olive Oil — Keep the mix refrigerated in a tight jar for application on wounds, cuts and burns. This mix relieves the pain and helps accelerate the healing process, prevents infection, and the formation of scar tissues (i.e. no scar marks).
Suppositories for Hemorrhoids and other Rectal Applications: Let’s accept the blunt fact; rectal discomfort, itching, swelling, and bleeding is much more common than what people are willing to acknowledge and talk about – it is the ‘gift’ of our ‘modern lifestyle’ – long hours of sitting combined with junk food. Multi-billion dollar sale of over-the-counter drugs like the Preparation-H is testament to this fact.
We know it hurts! Here is Nature’s gift to heal this highly discomfortable, painful, and embarrassing condition — Coconut Oil + Honey + Turmeric Powder.
And, here is how to make it – you know how to use it!
In half cup of partially liquified virgin Coconut oil (at room temperature) add 1-teaspoon of organic Turmeric powder and 1 1/2 -teaspoon of organic unrefined Honey. Mix thoroughly. Place in the fridge. Remix it again after an hour, before it completely solidifies. Smoothen the surface of the mix with a spoon. Leave it in the fridge until you are ready to form the suppositories it is a messy job!
You must have a glass jar in the freezer before you embark on shaping —, and, hands thoroughly washed and clean.
The process, though a bit tedious and messy, is quite simple — just keep on scrapping the somewhat frozen mix with a spoon and shape it with your hands – keep on transferring the shaped suppositories to the freezer otherwise they may start melting — you may also use an additional bowl (already cooled in the freezer) as the a transfer mechanism.
You can keep these suppositories in freezer for up to two years. Apply these suppositories to heal rectal swelling, discomfort and hemorrhoids – Be aware of the turmeric color on the garments, though!
Have A Great Coconut Day!
☘ ☘ ☘ ☘ ☘
- U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles . . .
- J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Antioxidants, nutritional supplements and life-threaening diseases,” Brit. J. Biomed. Sci. 51(3), 288-295, 1994.
- The Lancet June, 2008The ketogenic diet for the treatment of childhood epilepsy: a randomised controlled trial
- Ray Peat, Ph d Ray Peat – Coconut Oil
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)National nutrient database for standard reference, Nuts, coconut, 2008.
- National Institutes of HealthJ Bacteriol: Equivalence of lauric acid and glycerol monolaurate as inhibitors of signal transduction in Staphylococcus aureus
- JAMA, 2002;288:2569-2578. Optimal Diets for Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease Hu FB; Willett WC.
- Dr. MercolaHealth Benefits of Coconut Oil.
- WJWH Yong, L Ge, YF Ng, SN TanThe chemical composition and biological properties of coconut (Cocos nucifera L.)Molecules, 14 (2009), pp. 5144-5164
- H Thormar, H HilmarssonThe role of microbicidal lipids in host defense against pathogens and their potential as therapeutic agentsChem Phy lipids, 150 (1) (2007), pp. 1-11
- Clement Ip, et al., “Requirement of essential fatty acids for mammary tumorigenesis,” Cancer Res. 45(5), 1997-2001, 1985.
- Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005 Jan-Feb;7(1-2):256-68. Lipid peroxidation in diabetes mellitus. Davi G, Falco A, Patrono C.
- B. A. Houssay and C. Martinez, “Experimental diabetes and diet,” Science 105, 548-549, 1947. J Theor Biol. 2005 May 21;234(2):277-88. On the importance of fatty acid composition of membranes for aging. Hulbert AJ.
- U.S. National Institutes of HealthAm J Ckin Nutr: 2008 March;87(3):621-6